Chocolate Chip Challah Recipe
Shabbat Shalom to you all 💙
Click here to see the full instructions of how to make this delicious Challah from home.
Chocolate Chip Challah Recipe by Challah Back Girls:
4 packages of active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups sugar (or honey)
7 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 cups boiling water
1 5-lb bag all-purpose flour
2-3 eggs for egg wash (1 : 1 ratio of egg : tsp water)
2 cups chocolate chips
1. Set oven to warm or proof.
2. In oven proof bowl, mix yeast packets, warm water, and sugar. Place in warm oven to proof.
3. In a standing mixer, crack eggs and mix.
4. In separate large bowl, place sugar, salt, vegetable oil and mix with a wooden spoon.
5. Take proofed yeast out of the oven (it should be bubbling and doubled in size from when it first when into the oven); add to egg mixture.
6. Add boiling water to large bowl and mix. Pour contents of large bowl into the yeast and eggs in mixer, let mix.
7. Add flour into the mixture in thirds, let mix.
8. Sprinkle 1/2 cup flour and knead dough for 5 minutes, add flour as needed. Once dough is kneaded, place in large (and we mean large) oiled bowl & cover with tight saran wrap. Let the dough rise for 2 hours.
9. Preheat oven to 350° (325° if you're using convection), put on your favorite show, music, or movie and place dough onto floured surface...snap a selfie and you're ready to braid!
10. Split dough into how many challahs you want. Split each of those into 3 pieces that will make up your braid strands. Place a small handful of chocolate chips in each strand of dough and pinch together before rolling out the strand. Then pinch 3 strands together at the top to begin braiding one challah.
11. Place braided challah on parchment paper on baking sheet and cover with wet towel. Let challah rise again under warm damp towel for 30 minutes, brush with egg wash, top with chocolate chips, and bake for 30-40 minutes (or until golden brown).
TOTAL TIME: 4-5 hrs
BAKE: 40 mins
YIELDS: ~3-4 large CHALLAHS